The Easiest Summer Dessert Ever!
The Easiest Dessert Ever or How to take advantage of summer
Summer is definitely the best time of year for dessert. Of course, it’s also the worst because you’re trying so hard to stay slim to look great in that bathing suit, but that’s another issue altogether! It’s the best time because of all of the wonderful fruit that’s available. I love peaches and nectarines, berries, berries and more berries!! Oh my goodness, and don’t forget the cherries! Yum!
So what to do with all that fruit? Well, of course, you could make it into a fruit salad, but that would just be boring. No, I’m afraid my favorite way is to bake it into a crisp. There are so many different definitions of a crisp or a crumble. Some have a dough-like topping, some don’t. Mine doesn’t. Mine is the lightest, easiest thing and, best of all, if you’re like me and work until the very last second before you have to run to make dinner, this is something you can make spur of the moment, pop it into the oven as you sitting down to dinner, take it out 15-20 minutes later, and you’ve got a delicious, hot dessert with which to amaze and delight your family.
- 4 peaches/apples/nectarines or 3 cups berries
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup rolled oats (not the instant kind)
- ½ tsp cinnamon (except if you’re making it with berries)
- Cut up your peaches/apples/nectarines into thin-ish slices or core strawberries and slice them in half or just wash the raspberries/black berries/blue berries.
- Spray a pyrex baking dish or pie pan. Put in the fruit.
- Sprinkle with cinnamon, if using.
- Sprinkle oats over the fruit, then sprinkle the brown sugar on top.
- Bake at 350 for 15-20 minutes. Softer fruit and berries will take less time than firmer fruit.
- Let cool for about 5 minutes after baking. Serve with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream.
- Bask in your family’s love. J
My apologies, I don’t have a picture for this yet — with all the brew-haha over using other people’s pictures, I didn’t use one already on the internet and I hadn’t cooked this in the past week, so I’ll upload one as soon as I make this (which I hope to do this weekend).
Thanks for your understanding!