Here’s a different take on Maryland Crab Cakes – make them out of canned salmon!
I have to admit it, I don’t like spending a lot of money on good crab meat, which is what you need to make really good crab cakes. But sometimes, I (and my family) want something like that for dinner – it’s super easy, and delicious. We’re also being bombarded with information on how nutritious canned salmon is – it’s got lots of calcium, vitamin D, vitamin B-12 and that amazingly-good-for-you omega-3 fatty acids. So, it seemed like a natural fit. Make crab cakes out of canned salmon. It’s less expensive and really healthy.
Maryland Salmon Cakes
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 Tbs chopped or fresh parsley
- 1 ½ Tbs mayonnaise
- 2 tsp grainy mustard
- ½ tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 can canned salmon
- 1/3 cup breadcrumbs
- Mush everything together. I recommend using your fingers for this because the canned salmon has the bones in it. They’re really soft, so I break them up with my fingers and blend them in. You don’t taste them so no one will know that they’re there, but they add more calcium to your fish.
- Form the mixture into patties.
- Heat olive or vegetable oil in a frying pan and fry the fish cakes – about 2-3 minutes on each side. Serve with ketchup, a big, healthy salad or anything else you enjoy (potato salad goes really nicely too).