My No Good Horrid Cold
I hate colds. Well, okay, I dare anyone to say that they like them!
But what makes mine worse is that because of my wonky thyroid, I can’t even take decongestants. 🙁
So what do I do? Well… here are some tried and true remedies for a stuffed up nose that are all natural and will help you get through those horrid, never ending days and nights when you just can’t breathe.
- Ginger is an amazing thing. Not only will it settle an upset stomach, but it will clear your nose like anything! For a stuffed up nose, I make myself a large pot of Masala Chai. It’s super easy and works both inhaled and sipped.
- In a small sauce pan boil 4 mugs of water, 4-5 teaspoons of black tea, a Tablespoon of finely chopped ginger, a small piece of cinnamon stick, two cloves, a generous splash of milk (but remember milk products are not good if you have stuffed up nose as they produce mucus) and 2-3 tsp sweetener. Let it simmer for 5 minutes. Strain into a large mug (or two). Inhale, sip, inhale, sip…
- For a sore throat, I keep a jar in the fridge filled with honey, lemon slices and chopped ginger. (The honey becomes thin with the juice of the lemon.) Add by heaping teaspoons to green tea or just hot water. Inhale, sip, inhale, sip…
- Another great remedy for a stuffed nose is essential oils. They’re available at many health-food stores along with simple burners. I burn a mix of Peppermint and Eucalyptus to help clear my nose.
- It’s an oldie, but a goodie, especially when you’re trying to sleep: Vick’s Vapor Rub. It works every time! And don’t forget to prop yourself up on pillows so that your sinuses can drain while you sleep.
- Some people swear by netti pots and a saline rinse. That’s my last resort, and luckily, I haven’t had to try it yet.
Good luck and hears to happy breathing!